Warm greetings to you.
The United Church has received an invitation from global partner, the National Council of Churches (NCC) in Korea to recommend a participant for a 2-week Peace Treaty Workshop/Seminar being organized for May 16-24, in Korea. The NCC Korea is seeking candidates from partner churches who would participate actively in their 2016 global campaign of education and advocacy for peace and reunification in the Korean peninsula and a campaign for a peace treaty. It’s a good leadership development and training opportunity, for an appropriate person. This could be for a young adult, with the maturity and willingness to engage in the ongoing advocacy upon return to Canada.
The workshop will include study sessions and exposure experiences, and will bring together about 20 people from around the globe willing to learn about, educate others and advocate on issues of peace and reunification in the Korean peninsula. The goals of the workshop are:
- To commit to a vision of justice, peace and reconciliation in the Korean peninsula
- To articulate a theological vision and hope for peace-making on the national, regional and global level
- To raise awareness for the urgent need of a peace treaty among the global ecumenical community
At a minimum, the applicant should:
- Have a valid passport that does not expire before November 2016
- Have a demonstrated commitment to, and engagement in, The United Church of Canada (locally, regionally and/or nationally), particularly networks concerned with peace issues
- Be willing to continue to be part of networks of education and faithful advocacy on peace and reunification in the Korean peninsula and to offer leadership to others on this issue
- Be willing to speak to United Church groups about the experience and its impact on their faith journey
- Have a good knowledge and critical analysis of issues related to peace, advocacy and education strategies
The majority of costs will be covered by The United Church of Canada and the NCC Korea. The participant will be expected to raise/contribute a modest amount (which could be from their congregation, etc.).
More details are on the invitation.
For more information, please contact Julie Graham at email@example.com